Health and Safety

What Footwear should I wear?

Please see our Terms & Conditions or ask a member of staff who will advise. Riding Attire can be purchased from Tack Shops & Online.

We don't supply Footwear for regular riders, but keep some available to loan for Pony Rides, but tultimately the customers responsibility to purchase their own safety equipment including Riding Hat.

To answer your question:-

From our T&Cs

  1. Riding Footwear:
    1. Clients must wear appropriate footwear while riding.
    2. Allowed Footwear:
      1. Jodphur Boots & Chaps
      2. Riding Boots / Long Boots
    3. Disallowed Footwear:
      1. Trainers
      2. High Heels
      3. Sandals
      4. Hiking Boots
      5. We reserve the right to refuse footwear we deem unsafe
    4. We recommend toe protection whenever handling a horse.

When you first start riding is it essential to have your own body protector?

It's not a mandatory requirement for new riders, but regardless of the activity, if you have access to a body protectory that fits properly (this is the reason we don't currently supply them, as sizes very tremendously), then we would always recommend you wear one.
Whilst our horses are fantastic, an excellent safety record, and strict rules in place, being a realist, it's a fact that horses are unpredictable in some circumstances, even a 20 year veteran can sometimes do things that are unexpected. For this reason, we don't allow clients to go Hacking or join Group Lessons until they've learned the fundamentals and gained essential experience in our Indoor Arena, which has a sand/rubber surface, which does mitigate the risk (in comparison with chalk/flint type ground found on Sussex's South Downs).
If you've never ridden a horse before, it's probably a good idea to have some lessons first, before making the purchase of a body protector. We supply hats as standard, but recommend you purchase your own after a couple of months if you ride regularly, the same applies to jodphurs and boots (we do have a limited stock of boots though).

What is a Rider Registration Form?

All new clients must fill in a Rider Registration form and have an Assessment lesson. This requires contact, medical, emergency contact details, it must be completed by the end of the your first Lesson with us. An instructor will fill in the final section as they will grade you on your current abilities.
This is by no means an exam, it's a Health and Safety requirement. We keep copies available on the premises, but if you wish to download, print and fill in one before you arrive you can get it here in pdf format. Available on the Left Navigation Bar.
You can download it here:

Proprietor S.M Hazelden - M.S.D.C Licence No 0506 (Mid Sussex District Council)

Google Analytics Alternative